You know how all of the toddler development books state that children love routine and structure? Well Phillip and I maintain a pretty good routine for Landon at home, but always wanted to integrate enough flexibility into our lives so that Landon could go with the flow when needed.
Last weekend we tried the ultimate "go with the flow" adventure - Landon's first plane trip. Let's just say there were some highs (about 40,000 feet in the air actually), and some lows (like the dirty floor in the airport, where Landon writhed around for quite a few temper tantrums). In between we had some great times, and some more tantrums. Guess who will be reading "Making the Terrible Two Terrific!" this week?
Really though we had a great weekend spent with some great friends. Landon was probably acting ornery because he knew that he would have to leave the kids wonderland that our friends in Bryn Mawr call home: historic stone home, huge fenced yard, front-yard creek with little fishies to feed, a front and back staircase for climbing, a pool, the world's sweetest dog, and an almost one year old boy who was happy to share his car toys. Really, heaven for Landon. Did I mention there was a dorm fridge stocked with all of Landon's favorite foods? That said "Welcome Steele and Landon"? Landon and his "big sis" Steele were pretty excited.
We had a good time catching up with old friends, lounging by the pool, playing a really fun board game called "Balderdash", and eating. There was a lot of eating - yuminess from the grill of course, as our friends own Firecraft.
We also had some struggles over naptime and more than our normal share of temper tantrums from Landon; it was the first time that he wasn't snuggly and cuddly with me, and I have to say that although I tried to stay tough, it hurt my feelings! After a rough trip back through the airport (security, lunch, and waiting to board), we had a very smooth flight, and an excellent night of sleep. Since Phillip stayed in Philly for business, I was a little worried about being home with Landon by myself today - imagine my surprise when Landon and I had the nicest day!
Landon has reveled in being at home and his daily routines, and has been so sweet to me today - he has given me about 40 hugs and kisses today. And when I was asking Landon about whether or not he wanted to go to a Food Truck Fiesta with his Dad and I, he said "okay, I buy!". When I asked him how he was going to pay, and whether he had any money, he said, "I can pay" and then ran off. How sweet is that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment