Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Roof

Now that Landon is getting older, more aware of people and his surroundings, and therefore more impressionable, I need to get my "Mommy" act together. In some ways this is easy; others, not so much. I have found myself in a few situations lately where the kid in me thinks that something is awesome, while the Mom in me (belatedly) realizes that it might not be a good idea.

Case in point: our 7 year old neighbor pushing his plastic tricycle to the top of the hill, then riding down at top speed, yelling at the top of his lungs. I thought that it looked pretty fun and something I would have done when I was younger. I did think it was slightly dangerous, but then dismissed that idea because you are supposed to skin your knees when you are growing up; it's a right of passage to me.

His Mom didn't agree. Hmm. Maybe there is a parent code that I'm not aware of, or a secret email list-serve that tells you when to say "First Middle Last (name)...stop that right now!". Or maybe everyone just does what their parents did? Who knows? But I better figure it out soon!

Until then I will just stay the course. Which sometimes includes funny detours. Tonight I was reading a lift-the-flap book to Landon, and was showing him a roof that was hidden under one of the flaps. I was trying to act silly to keep him engaged in the book, so as I lifted the flap I said in a funny voice, "the roof, the roof" and then finished it spontaneously with, "the roof is on fire!". I didn't even realize what I had said until I heard Phillip chuckle in the other room and ask if that was really in the book.

Thank goodness Landon isn't old enough to ask what song I was singing. How do you explain that Mommy was singing an old-school rap song whose lyrics were never officially recorded, but only sung at live concerts, because the rap artists knew that the radio stations wouldn't play it because of the curse words. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment