Sunday, August 22, 2010

Home Sweet Home











The Lewises are back...and feeling refreshed! No internet and no phone for me for almost a week, and it was quite nice indeed! Kiawah was AMAZING. No other words to describe it. Part resort, part nature preserve, my kind of place.

We continued Landon's birthday celebration on the island. We stayed in Charleston Sunday night, drove over to the island on Monday, and headed to the beach straight-away. First we made a little stop at Newton Farms though to stock up on gourmet snacks, drinks, and of course, a second birthday cake (cupcake this time) for little Landon. We had his birthday dinner at The Sanctuary's Jasmine Porch; quite different than either of our first birthday dinners, so we will have to keep it real this week with some Hamburger Helper!

Landon loved the beach and loved playing with his "sister" Steele. She is the daughter of some of our dear friends whom we vacationed with, and the two of them have a good time together. I think they especially liked floating around in the resort's pool drinking their very own raspberry slushies with straws! We quickly realized that the kids needed their own drink, as I always share whatever I order with Landon, but was not going to share my strawberry dacquiri!

While on the island we saw an alligator, a fox, several deer, hundreds of silk spiders (including one that jumped down on me Ms. Muffet style) and thousands of butterflies. We are planting a butterfly garden very soon - it was so lovely dining out on the verandah as the butterflies flitted around.

On another note, I have decided that I am single-handedly going to bring back some of the Southern traditions that mine and Phillip's family have enjoyed for years. Since I began staying at home, I have jotted down recipes, household tips, etc that I think every Southern woman should know. One day I would like to pass it on to any daughters we may have (don't worry, I will share my thoughts with Landon about how a Southern gentlemen should conduct himself as well). I have made some headway this summer, by making a very nice pimento cheese, and a lovely homemade peach ice cream. This trip to the lowcountry renewed my passion for all things Southern ...including the 800 landscape oil paintings in the Sanctuary that I drooled over, not to mention the antique furniture! I believe that Phillip was very scared that I wanted to visit some art galleries upon our return trip to Charleston, lucky for him (and our bank account) it began to downpour after our carriage tour, so we hit the road instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment