Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The anti-green movement

Until a few weeks ago we used to call Landon "Mikey" because it seemed as if he would eat or drink anything (we still call him "Stinkybutt" - he hasn't disproven that one yet)! And then we introduced him to the color green...

Landon loves sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, prunes, bananas and his favorite - pears. He inhales pears, and the other night literally licked his fingers and his bib to get the last bite of the steamed pears with cinnamon that I made him! I felt like I was watching a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial and couldn't believe that I didn't capture the finger-licking on camera...I'll be ready next time!

However, Landon will not eat any food that is green. And he demonstrates his prejudice towards green food in the funniest way! When my Mother was here, she tried to give him avocado after I had told her of his green aversion. She gave him a small bite and he wouldn't close his mouth; just kept the avocado on the end of his tongue and made a bitter beer face! He did the same thing with peas.

I love vegetables....love them. Especially when I was pregnant, there were many days where I ate spinach in all three of my meals of the day. So I refuse to give up on the little man slowing building up to 5 veggies a day! We are making baby steps...last night Landon would kind of chew the peas, and I thought that he was starting to accept the green veggie, until he started making gagging faces (not choking, just gagging...as if he were a contestant on Survivor and I was making him eat sea urchin or something)!

The upside to all this is that he has been so exaggerated and dramatic in his reactions, that I have been laughing hysterically, and he seems to realize the humor in the situation as well. So, we are having some really nice bonding time at the kitchen table. It almost feels like I am sitting down with an old friend and laughing at a funny event or story, and it's so nice to have the daily laughing sessions with the little guy!

We did catch a little bit of the pea puree reaction on camera, so as soon as I download that footage I will post it here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment